Thursday, May 22, 2008

Children Book Bonanza: P is for Princess

This morning I took Selah to her School's Scholastic Book Fair and I found some great buys. All books were half off and it was get one free, so I loaded up on hardbacks, especially the Caldecott Honors and Coretta Scott King Award books. Can't get enough of those, but the book that I can't put down is my spotlight for today, and perhaps...the start of a new bimonthly feature here at CFB and possibly a new blog. Children Book Bonanza. The book I'm so excited about is P Is for Princess: A Royal Alphabet (Sleeping Bear Alphabets)

Dr. Steven and Deborah Layne wrote this book. Please visit Dr. Layne's site if you want to help to encourage your children to love reading. I am a huge fan now.

The best advice he gave to me as a parent that you can download from his site free here is to schedule a reading night just like a soccer practice or ballet. I am book fool. I host a reader series and never thought of that. Bananas!

What I loved most about this book is that it's multicultural. It is a great geography primer. You learn about Russia, China, Asia, Africa, the Middle East. You learn about fairy tale origin, greek mythology in a way that isn't so overtop an eight-year-old would hate it. Love it!

Robert and Lisa Papp the artists did a wonderful job capturing the glorious beauty that reminds of what a princess should possess. Here are a few pics courtesy of his site.

No comments: